1/350 USS Wasp Hangar Deck Build


Over the next few weeks, I worked on the hangar deck. This came to together very well assembly wise.






I picked out the miscellaneous details in various colors, while sticking to the color references for the interior. I used a thin black wash to bring out the details on the walls. This includes things like red storage lockers and green hose reels. I also took a pencil and outlined the tie-downs on the floor.

The storage is various pieces of Evergreen plastic cut to different sizes and painted various greens, browns and grays.

The Gallery Models forklifts were painted yellow. The smaller forklifts received a cylinder made pieces of plastic. The yellow cart and stand are from WEM. I put a couple of figures in the hangar deck to make it look full of activity. They include about 12 figures from Goffy Models. They have decent detail considering the scale.

The tow tractor and nitrogen carts are also from the Gallery kit.

The Harriers are also Gallery Models. As I said in an earlier post, they were detailed with left over PE from the WEM's Enterprise aircraft kit.  They were given a coat of primer and the painted Tamiya Sky. The upper camouflage scheme is Model Masters Ghost Gray. Those that have their canopies open got a bit of black on the main part of the cockpit and the seats were painted olive drab. The canopies were dipped in Future floor polish to make them shine. Decals came from the Gallery Model kits and accessory sets.

The two Ospreys in the hangar deck are from Bronco. They were also painted Tamiya Sky. After this miscellaneous details were picked out with flat black. The deicing surfaces on the wings were painted NATO black.  I then let them dry for about a day and then gave them a flat coat before putting the decals on. Then they received another flat coat and then a thin wash of Ghost Gray to add some contrast. I then gave them one more flat coat and considered them done.

I will use the lights are from the remaining half of the LED Christmas lights that I used in the well deck to illuminate the details.

This is my first hangar deck build, and I am very pleased with how this came out.

Comments

Popular Posts