Next Project: USS Croatan (T-)AKV-43

To get ready for the upcoming IPMS Nova classic's 2017, which is themed 70 years of the U.S. Air Force, I bought the 1/700 USS Bogue. Wait that doesn't make sense, you are probably thinking. Actually, it does.

You see, after World War II, the Bogues were mothballed for a while before being reactivated and used as aviation transports during the Vietnam War. They transported everything--from F-4 Phantoms to A-1 Skyraiders and helicopters. I am going to try to make the USNS Croatan in the mid-1960s.

It's a pretty simple conversion. I have to remove all of the WW2 armament and flight deck catwalks. I also need to scratch build two cranes and convert the island a bit. This will be something different and it will help me win the special theme award.

Below are a few photos of the Bogues during the Vietnam War.








Comments

Popular Posts