Filters

In addition to some touch-ups along the catwalks and the hull, I applied a couple layers of gloss coat for the decals and to begin the weathering process for the ship. Tonight I put a series of home-made filters along the hull and flight deck. 

Filters are different than washes. You really want colored thinner instead of thinned paint. I used raw umber, titanium white and black for my filters. Filters are great for breaking up a monochromatic hull like this one. I applied the filter on the hull using a wide brush and in random strokes. I let each filter dry for 30 minutes and the applied another layer. The goal is to build up the colors in really thin coats. I switched colors randomly, alternating white, raw umber and black. The filters also fade the dark gray flight deck as well, which matches what you see in real life. 



Comments

Popular Posts