A Change of Pace: The Tamiya M-577 Command Post

I need a break from ships so I am going to build the 1/35 Tamiya M-577 Command Post. Built on the venerable M-113 chassis and first introduced in the 1960s, the M-577 still serves as the primary command post for the U.S. Army, though it has been updated with new generators, radios and sat-com equipment.

The Tamiya kit let's you create the M-577 or the M-577A1, depending on which version you build. My goal is to build the M-577A1 in the 7th Army camouflage option, called the MASSTER scheme. This scheme is comprised of a sand base color, red-brown, forest green and black. It was in use just before the  MERDC scheme of the 1970s through the mid-1980s. The MASSTER scheme was limited only to those in the 7th Army, particularly the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment.


So, on a cloudy afternoon in April, I got to work on the kit and built up the major components. I replaced two of the Tamiya parts with left over parts from the Academy M-113A2 kit. The kit goes together pretty well for a kit from the 1970s. There are some gaps that need to the filled, the most famous being the gap between the hull and the roof extension. Only the first batch of M-577s had a weld or seam line along the hull. The standard massed-produced version would have smooth surface. 



In addition, I will be using the Eduard PE set and will add some jerry cans, boxes and tarps from the spares box I have. I may add a driver figure as well. 


Comments

Popular Posts