Test Fitting the Island and General Layout of the Ship

Once completed, the Heller Clemenceau will be a pretty big model, measuring out at nearly 25 inches long. Once the lower hull is painted and detailed, I will mount the ship in a display case.  If you do this, make sure you have consider the height factor.  I haven't added the large mast yet, but it will add almost  2.5 inches to the height of the model.





One of the features of the Clemenceau class is the large island.  The fit of the island is a little less than desired.  When I dry fitted the parts, the front edge of the island is a little warped.  Nothing that can't be fix with a little warm water and some elbow grease.  Still, it is something you should know about.  The details on the island are decent, although the doors and some of the windows are just shallow impressions.  I sanded off the molded on ladders and hatches.  These will be replaced with PE versions.  One of the things that is missing is what appears to be a cable reel on the front of the island.  That detail will be added using PE replacement parts.

I also test fitted the island and the flight deck.  The fit here is very good.  Just remember to align the island with the raised bumps on the flight deck in order to ensure a proper fit.






In the photos above, I also added some of the forklifts and carts from the Wasp kit that I am going to use.  I know they are about 12 to 14% too big, but I really can't tell.  Actually, I think they look pretty good on the deck.  They will add lots of life to the model, which I think is very important.  Aircraft carriers are a flurry of activity.

In fact, most of the great models from people like Kelly Quirk, Peter Van Buren and Louis Carabott have lots of life on them.

Comments

Popular Posts