Weathering the Heller Clemenceau: More than just Gray

After adding the flight deck, the next step was to weather the ship.  The Clemenceau is a whole lot of gray.  But how do you weather such a ship?  I applied a lesson learned from building 1/35 scale armor kits and used a glaze.

It's really simple. I gave the lower hull and flight deck a wash of clean turpentine.  Then using oil based paints put little dots of lamp oil black, yellow orchre, burnt sienna, raw umber, bright red, and titanium white all over the lower hull and flight deck.  After the dots were added, I let them sit for about an hour.  Then I took clean turpentine and washed the oil paint off.  The result was subtle changes in color that broke up the very monotone gray scheme.  Unfortunately, I had to touch up a few areas on the catwalks with the base color, but I am very happy with the result.






If you would like to learn more about this technique, I recommend you go over to Track-link and view the gallery of Michael Bedard

Comments

Popular Posts